Mig33 ASIA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mig33 ASIA

Mig33 Asia Community The World On Your Hand

4 posters

Donaghy Friends Ordered to Prison in NBA Betting Case

sang_garuda
    sang_garuda
    Super moderator
    Super moderator

Male
    Jumlah posting : 1325
    Interest : Profit
    Mig33 Username : sang_garuda, disco
    WARNING :
    Donaghy Friends Ordered to Prison in NBA Betting Case Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Donaghy Friends Ordered to Prison in NBA Betting Case Right_bar_bleue

Level : 42
    Registration date : 11.07.08

Donaghy Friends Ordered to Prison in NBA Betting Case Empty Donaghy Friends Ordered to Prison in NBA Betting Case

Post by sang_garuda Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:27 am

Two high school classmates of former National Basketball Association referee Tim Donaghy were sentenced to prison by a federal judge in Brooklyn, New York, for their roles in a scheme she said ``compromised'' the game.

Thomas Martino, 42, was sentenced to a year and a day in jail after he pleaded guilty earlier this year to conspiring to defraud the league. James Battista, a professional gambler who also pleaded guilty, was sentenced to a 15-month term. Both men said Donaghy told them which NBA games to bet on. Martino admitted paying Donaghy for the picks.

``The NBA, the fans, depend on the integrity of the game,'' U.S. District Judge Carol Amon told Martino at the sentencing hearing today. ``No single person is more important to the game than the referee. If his interest is compromised in any way, the entire sport is compromised.''

Prosecutors said Martino and Battista, who attended Cardinal O'Hara High School in Springfield, Pennsylvania, with Donaghy, approached the veteran NBA referee in December 2006 and told him they were aware he was placing bets on games he refereed. They proposed an arrangement in which Donaghy would provide picks on games to Battista through Martino, prosecutors said. Battista's lawyer alleged Donaghy came up with the scheme.

Non-Public Information

Using non-public information he was privy to as a referee, including knowledge of player injuries, Donaghy recommended teams to bet on in exchange for a fee from Battista, paid through Martino, prosecutors said.

Martino delivered cash payments to Donaghy, usually about $5,000 for each correct pick, resulting in Battista earning hundreds of thousands of dollars in the scheme, prosecutors said.

``I'm not blaming either of my codefendants, Mr. Martino or Mr. Donaghy,'' Battista said, weeping, as he stood before the judge. ``I made bad choices and I take full responsibility for what I did.''

While Battista's lawyer, Jack McMahon, said his client deserved a term of house arrest, Amon said the actions of Battista, who pleaded guilty to conspiracy to transmitting wagering information, deserved a prison term, noting he was a ``professional gambler.''

``The lure of inside information was extraordinarily tempting,'' she said. ``The defendant must receive just punishment for succumbing to that temptation.''

She called their betting scheme ``particularly significant'' because it involved ``the corruption of the one participant in professional sports who is universally respected and expected to be above reproach, which is the referee.''

Pleaded Guilty

Martino, who pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit wire fraud, told Amon, ``I have learned an invaluable lesson. I would also like to apologize to all of those I've let down. I am very sorry it took an incident of this nature to wake me up to the realities of life. I have acted irresponsibly.''

Amon said Battista may surrender to federal prison authorities by Sept. 18 to begin serving his term while Martino may surrender by Oct. 16.

In a separate order filed late last night, she directed Battista, Martino and Donaghy be jointly and severally liable to pay $217,266 in restitution.

Under federal laws, Donaghy faces a maximum of 25 years in prison. He pleaded guilty last year to conspiring to engage in wire fraud and transmitting betting information through interstate commerce. He is to be sentenced by Amon July 29.

After court, Battista's lawyer, McMahon condemned Donaghy, saying, ``The whole thing could not have been accomplished without Donaghy--he's the only one who could make this happen. He hatched the whole scheme.''

The case is U.S. v. Donaghy, 07-cr-00587, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York (Brooklyn).
    car0_linex
    car0_linex
    Super member ll

Female
    Jumlah posting : 205
    Interest : korean N japanese moviE, culture
    Mig33 Username : car0_linex
    WARNING :
    Donaghy Friends Ordered to Prison in NBA Betting Case Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Donaghy Friends Ordered to Prison in NBA Betting Case Right_bar_bleue

Level : 0
    Registration date : 12.07.08

Donaghy Friends Ordered to Prison in NBA Betting Case Empty Re: Donaghy Friends Ordered to Prison in NBA Betting Case

Post by car0_linex Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:15 pm

thank 4 share affraid
    sodong
    sodong
    VIP MEMBER

Male
    Jumlah posting : 328
    Interest : mig33,reading book,browsing
    Mig33 Username : sodong
    WARNING :

Registration date : 29.07.08

Donaghy Friends Ordered to Prison in NBA Betting Case Empty Re: Donaghy Friends Ordered to Prison in NBA Betting Case

Post by sodong Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:33 am

thanks 4 info bro garuda rock
    Prodip2007
    Prodip2007
    Super member lll

Male
    Jumlah posting : 251
    Interest : Music
    Mig33 Username : prodip2007
    WARNING :
    Donaghy Friends Ordered to Prison in NBA Betting Case Left_bar_bleue80 / 10080 / 100Donaghy Friends Ordered to Prison in NBA Betting Case Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 08.08.08

Post by Prodip2007 Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:29 am

------||------------||------nice sharing bro.Tq u bro...Tq u very much...Keep up bro------||------------||------

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Waktu sekarang Mon May 13, 2024 7:13 am